Seriously, heed the title, this is not a recipe for home use. This is how you make wayyyyyyy too much mac n cheese.
Explaination: I’ve spent my last few summers working as a sous chef for a summer camp. That job meant making three meals a day (three and a half really) for around 50-80 people. The most popular meal we made was the macaroni and cheese. People went nuts for the stuff. So if you find yourself in a situation where you need to make food for FIFTY TO EIGHTY PEOPLE and also have access to an industrial kitchen then go ahead and try this out. Otherwise this is just for fun.
macaroni noodles (~15 cups, I never actually measured it)
cheddar and mozzarella cheese (2lb block each)
sour cream: enough to do two huge scoops
garlic powder and pepper to taste.
how to do it:
- preheat your industrial convection oven to 350
- cook the noodles in boiling water. Then drain them
- while that’s going, grate alllll the cheese. I used the kitchenaid attachment, and it took like 2 minutes. I would not recommend grating it by hand, you’ll probably give yourself carpel tunnel if you grate 4lbs of cheese.
- pour the noodles into your industrial 18 x 24 x 6 oven pan. Throw in two very generous scoops of sour cream, then garlic powder and pepper. Then add fistfulls of cheese, mix it up with the big wooden spoon (you need a long handle and I’ve broken plastic ones doing this, so go wood) keep adding cheese until you have like 2 handfuls left. use those last two to make a nice layer of cheese on top.
- bake in oven for 15 minutes. Don’t bring it in and out of the oven by yourself, get someone to help you because cooked noodles in a pan big enough to cook two turkeys is actually very very heavy.
and that’s it. This recipe is almost entirely useless but maybe try making a smaller version yourself at home?