Now that the kids are back into the school routine – it’s extremely important for drivers to be vigilant.
Let’s keep kids safe throughout the school year.
This means being smart behind the wheel, not being in a rush, obeying all traffic laws, and being aware of your surroundings.
Below are some reminders to drivers:
- When driving in neighbourhoods be mindful of children walking, running, cycling in and around the streets. Be alert as soon as you are behind the wheel
- Be mindful of all school zones. The speed limit is 30 km/h from 8-9:30, 11:30-1:30, & 3-4:30 (unless otherwise posted)
- Do not text and drive. Do not talk on a hand-held device and drive.
- Always stop for school buses when lights are flashing (20 metres), and be mindful of children getting on and off the bus.
- Be alert and aware of your blind spots, especially around schools.
- Don’t rush. Give yourself extra time in your morning commute to work. Especially early in the school year when routines may not be yet in place for kids arriving to school in a timely fashion.