Friday February 9, 2024
- McLennan RCMP have laid charges against a Peace River man, for sexual assault and child exploitation, among other charges.
31 year old Brock Mackenzie Whalen was arrested on Wednesday, in a case dating back to last June. He’s due in court in mid-March.
- Meanwhile, the Holy Family Catholic Regional Division says that safety and well-being of the students is top priority.
Holy Family is offering numerous supports to students and families, who may be affected by these developments.
The RCMP is asking parents and guardians to come forward with concerns of possible involvement in incidents, relating to the investigation.
- The Emergency Department at the Fairview Health Complex has no physician on-site all day today.
Nurses are again available for referrals, triage and assessments.
- The Grimshaw Regional Healthcare Attraction and Retention Committee have handed out their 2024 scholarships.
13 applications were received by the committee, with six bursaries of $2,000 each, were handed out.
- The Peace River Ski Hill is opening softly this weekend.
Misery Mountain is opening with the lower t-bar only tomorrow morning at 10am.
- Beaverlodge man dedicates $70 million dollar win at LOTTO MAX to his late wife.
His win was the second big win in Alberta in two days. Thursday, three Calgary friends split a $50 million jackpot.
- Edmonton-Whitemud MLA Rakhi Pancholi has joined the race to be the Alberta NDP’s next leader.
Pancholi is the second to launch a campaign to replace Rachel Notley after Calgary’s Kathleen Ganley.
Sarah Hoffman, David Shepherd and Naheed Nenshi are rumoured as well, to enter the race.
- Alberta’s forestry minister says the province plans to field more firefighters and volunteers as it braces for what it expects will be another busy wildfire season.
Todd Loewen says communities will have to become more fire smart and forestry companies may have to adjust their harvesting practices.
- The Provincial Men’s Curling championships are underway in Hinton.
Sexsmith’s Daylan Vavrek, and Peace River’s Scott Webb both won this morning. They play each other tonight, with the winner qualifying for the page playoffs.
- Local hockey action happening this weekend in Northwestern Alberta.
NWJHL, NPHL, NAHL, NJHL, and AJHL all hitting the ice.
- Mostly sunny skies are forecasted heading into this weekend in the Northwest, with highs this afternoon being around -10, except for -5 in the Big Lakes.
Temps are expected to warm up for this weekend, but snow is on the radar for the beginning of next week.
Keith Hopper, Trending 55